Lime stripes

This is one from my Autumn sewing plans that went awry. I made this blouse up very quickly then shoved it in the wardrobe without ever posting about it, an all too common occurence for me!

It is made from a 50s Butterick pattern, a classic basic blouse, from a green/black/cream woven striped cotton with a lovely hand and ever so slight sateen finish.

Striped 1950s blouse

This was very simple to make, and the sewing was done in an afternoon. I love the soft pleat fitting at the front, and the fact that the collar starts at the sides of the neck, so no uncomfortable bulk at the back of the neck from a folded collar. The buttons are facetted black glass, and I (for some unknown reason) decided to hand-sew the buttonholes.

Butterick pattern envelope

Overall I’m quite happy with how this came out, though I may shorten the sleeves a little next time around. I’m not too sure I like their current length (which seems a lot longer than in the drawing).

• Meet the Author • Ginny

• I love it well done. The color is lovely and its nice to see a vintage pattern that still looks vintage made up :)

• Works really nicely with the stripes. Very pretty!

• Love that pattern! I really loce that kind of sleeves and the fabric u used is very pretty, you did a great job!

• Love it, especially the colours and I have that very pattern so I might give it a go!

• I love the style of this blouse, and it’s also a nice choice of fabric. Don’t shorten the sleeves though really. The whole point of kimono sleeves is to give the upper torso a nice “Vee” shape. Very flattering for all figure types, especially with the vertical stripes.

• This looks fabulous! Great job! I love your selection of fabric and finishes. The length issue you are having is because you, like me, are short waisted. A basic tailoring/pattern fitting book may help you adjust your patterns to fit the way you want them to. Unfortunately to get the fit you see on the envelop you have to wear a corset – her waist is closer in size to her neck than it is to her bust! Alas I too always fall in love with the picture of the pattern. If only I was 7 ft tall and 100 lbs!

• A perfect fabric for that pattern, looks great!