In search of: vintage hat patterns

by Katherine

in Hats

Jade Brandt just popped up on etsy asking for sources for hat patterns from the 1920s to the 1950s, and being a nosy person I went and peeked at her shop.

Be still my heart…she makes hats from vintage patterns…

In a completely selfish act, I’d like to help her find more hat patterns so I can see what she does with them.

So many of us here either run our own pattern store or have pattern stores galore in our bookmarks, so if you can help point Jade in the direction of some hat patterns from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s or 1950s, please drop a link in the comments.

I'm the editor at WeSewRetro so don't hesitate to get in touch with any problems or questions. In addition to keeping the good ship WeSewRetro afloat, I do an amateurish but enthusiastic job of raising a toddler, teach university professors how to dominate a computer by day and study for a masters in literature at night. My daily coffee consumption would kill a small horse. I'm having a clandestine relationship with bias binding and my idea of hell is turning a spaghetti strap right side out.

Katherine's posts / Katherine's website

Katrina January 4, 2012 at 12:40 am
Anna January 4, 2012 at 7:35 am

Boy do I know the best spot. Vintage Pattern Lending Library has published some really amazing hat pattern reproductions. They are sorted by era, but here is the link to her hat patterns for the 1920′s: https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/1920s-HATS_c_68.html
I bought the following and it’s a lovely pattern: https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/The-Classic-1920-Cloche–Downloadable-_p_458.html

Also, I have a pdf for a 1950′s style cloche in my etsy shop:

Jade January 4, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thanks for all the great links guys! I am so glad to have been introduced to this site. More vintage pattern junkies! I have used several of the VPL patterns. The cloche above is their “Classic Cloche”, a bit altered for modern wear. Some of their patterns work great… other not so much. But still a great resource.

mariebayarea January 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

just had to say that i love your hat!

Juanita January 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I visited your site before you moved to this new location. I also am interested in vintage sewing. I found a site called ” What I Found” that has an interesting hat called The Circle Hat Designed by Lilly Dache for Family Circle , November 1953.
There is a pattern and pictures of many different ways to sew it. Love the hat you made.

Tina Sutherland January 8, 2012 at 2:34 am

Oh, how nice to just be reading along and find two mentions of my site. You gals are grand!
I have more hat patterns, but I am switching to a stand alone site and it is looking a little rough. But it works and you can use the search to find some goodies. And we’ll have all the bells and whistles real soon.
Come visit;