In search of: vintage hat patterns

Jade Brandt just popped up on etsy asking for sources for hat patterns from the 1920s to the 1950s, and being a nosy person I went and peeked at her shop.

Be still my heart…she makes hats from vintage patterns…

In a completely selfish act, I’d like to help her find more hat patterns so I can see what she does with them.

So many of us here either run our own pattern store or have pattern stores galore in our bookmarks, so if you can help point Jade in the direction of some hat patterns from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s or 1950s, please drop a link in the comments.

• Meet the Author • Katherine

I'm the editor at WeSewRetro so don't hesitate to get in touch with any problems or questions. In addition to keeping the good ship WeSewRetro afloat, I do an amateurish but enthusiastic job of raising a daughter, teach university professors how to dominate a computer by day and study for a masters in literature at night. My daily coffee consumption would kill a small horse. I'm having a clandestine relationship with bias binding and my idea of hell is turning a spaghetti strap right side out.

• Boy do I know the best spot. Vintage Pattern Lending Library has published some really amazing hat pattern reproductions. They are sorted by era, but here is the link to her hat patterns for the 1920’s: https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/1920s-HATS_c_68.html
    I bought the following and it’s a lovely pattern: https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/The-Classic-1920-Cloche–Downloadable-_p_458.html

Also, I have a pdf for a 1950’s style cloche in my etsy shop:

• Thanks for all the great links guys! I am so glad to have been introduced to this site. More vintage pattern junkies! I have used several of the VPL patterns. The cloche above is their “Classic Cloche”, a bit altered for modern wear. Some of their patterns work great… other not so much. But still a great resource.

• just had to say that i love your hat!

• I visited your site before you moved to this new location. I also am interested in vintage sewing. I found a site called ” What I Found” that has an interesting hat called The Circle Hat Designed by Lilly Dache for Family Circle , November 1953.
    There is a pattern and pictures of many different ways to sew it. Love the hat you made.

• Oh, how nice to just be reading along and find two mentions of my site. You gals are grand!
    I have more hat patterns, but I am switching to a stand alone site and it is looking a little rough. But it works and you can use the search to find some goodies. And we’ll have all the bells and whistles real soon.
    Come visit;
    What-I-Found.com

• Vintage Patterns… omg, you MUST go to the French National Library!!! Even if you don’t read French, the fashion illustrations are amazing. Go to http://gallica.bnf.fr/ and type the name of the periodical in to the search box at the top of the page in quotes. That will bring up a list of hits, and the one you want should be at the top. Click that, and it will bring up a list of that periodical but not necessarily the year you want. On the left is a list of the years they have scanned. Click “Plus d’éléments” to see the full list of years (if applicable) and then the year you’re looking for. From there you can select the issue you want. Issues to search through: La Femme de France, Le Dimanches de la Femme, La Mode du Jour, Les Modes de la Femme de France, La Mode et la Maison. I found well over 100 hats from the late teens through the mid 1930s, just sewing, but there’s also knitting and crocheting, plus old dress patterns and crafts. You may hate me for turning you on to that… I fell into a rabbithole right around xmas, and had to be reminded to eat, and my daughter nearly missed the bus a couple of mornings because I was so engrossed!

Also, if you haven’t found Ruth Wyeth Spears, the Midvale Cottage blog has a ton of her patterns from the 1920s (including hats and ways to trim them) here: http://midvalevintagepost.blogspot.com/ Those are a little more accessible, and in English. ^_^

(PS: I found you because I was looking for full instructions on the Lilly Daché circle hat from ’53. Google gave me the hit on Juanita’s comment. Happy hunting!

« LAST POST