This project was not in my originals plans for the day yesterday, a pair of jeans for my 52 Weeks of Sewing project was. But, then I decided to make a shirt to go with the jeans, and then it turned into “hey, I should just try that blouse from that Vintage Modern Design Challenge that BurdaStyle just posted.” Ultimately, the jeans never got made and the blouse morphed into this!
It is based on a free blouse pattern from Indygo Junction. And wow, what a pattern to use! I’ve never don’t anything like that before, it doesn’t give you any paper pieces just instructions on how to chalk it out yourself. The entire back panel is lace, and the front pattern is a mystery (polyester?) satin I had lying around. I actually cut the blouse to the specifications, but then took it in significantly after the fact (it’s taken in about six inches, and then I added darts to the front). I also shaped the side seams to bring the lace back panel slightly forwards. The cuffs were done as instructed, but I shortened the sleeves and then I added another “cuff” as the bottom hem, all in the same lace as the back panel.
My hope was to create a piece that is a more modern variant of the satin blouse which could be turned into a real pattern and recreated. I’m pretty pleased with it – all the adjustments I made mean it’s a little bit messier on the inside than I would like, but all in all considering my lack of experience with this type of thing, I’m happy!