By “wearing comfort” I assume you mean…

Going through a box of vintage patterns today, I came across this Spadea jumpsuit from 1978 and nearly overlooked the major design feature.

Can you see it?

Spadea Jumpsuit

As the instructions cheerfully describe:

“Cleverly designed jumpsuit with hidden drop seat attached to belt. Invisible zippers make it impossible to detect while adding wearing comfort not found in other jumpsuit designs”

I’m trying desperately not to speculate on all the various reasons why having a trapdoor in your pants might be useful, but I’m left wondering: who was designer Blanche Evans and what horrors had she suffered at the hands of other jumpsuit designs? What incident led her to declare “No more! I must have instant access to my particulars!”

• Meet the Author • Katherine

I'm the editor at WeSewRetro so don't hesitate to get in touch with any problems or questions. In addition to keeping the good ship WeSewRetro afloat, I do an amateurish but enthusiastic job of raising a daughter, teach university professors how to dominate a computer by day and study for a masters in literature at night. My daily coffee consumption would kill a small horse. I'm having a clandestine relationship with bias binding and my idea of hell is turning a spaghetti strap right side out.

• I remember that pattern, or one very like it. The whole concept horrified me.

They also sold premade ones in the Sunday newspaper magazine inserts. *shudder*

• Thank you. That gave me a good laugh.

• I think it’s a great idea! Who wants to struggle with getting in and out of a jumpsuit in a cramped public toilet or somewhere like that?

Mind you, I wouldn’t be caught dead in a jumpsuit anyway so it’s not really a personal problem.

• Hah! OMG, I mean for kids that’s a great idea but really? Sure, I see the point, but… no.

• A ‘Classic’ no doubt!

• That looks like the upscale cousin of the “Forever Lazy”.

• I had to google Forever Lazy as I don’t watch TV and it might just be the funniest thing ever. I love the bit where everyone is hanging out in a parking lot in their oversize fleece jumpsuit.

Here’s a link to the vid for anyone else who hasn’t seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g

• LOL this made my morning

• I don’t remember this pattern, or those that had a ‘back door’ but OMG I remember those jumpsuits! Have you ever been anywhere, like a public bathroom with one on. You had to strip to go to the bathroom, and there on the floor is your beautiful jumpsuit. And you certainly didn’t wear them out drinking at the bars, it was a recipe for certain disaster. My bet is the person that designed this had been out in one to the bar !! Oh memories!

• OMG!!! The only time I’ve ever seen that design feature is for long johns. I suppose in a cold climate, adding a union suit underneath would be the perfect foundation garment :)

• Doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me…………………………. I recall an incident (or near incident) with a culotte dress and a wet floor in a restaurant washroom, trying to hold up yards of slippery rayon…………………………… thank goodness there was no alcohol involved.

• ?????? hahahahahahaha, perhaps for a child it must be a good idea………

• As funny/silly as this pattern may look, I think the designer actually came up with a very clever way of dealing with a very real problem! Many years ago, I had a favorite pantsuit (dark green heavy jersey, with a long zip up the front and a belt with a plain round buckle…I can remember it the way you only remember the clothes that made you look and feel GOOD.
    I also remember trying to hang onto the belt and 2/3 of the entire garment while using a toilet.

• As bizzare as it looks, and yes, instantly brings to mind combination long-johns, I have to agree its a great solution to the call of nature issue! I’m a jumpsuit junkie (and halfway through sewing up a new jumpsuit – sans functional rear end) and would definitely consider trying this on a future make…

« LAST POST