Vintage Simplicity 3320 in plaid

Vintage Simplicity 3320, the pattern

Vintage Simplicity 3320, the pattern

Vintage Simplicity 3320, by ooobop!

Vintage Simplicity 3320, by ooobop!

I so enjoyed working on this dress, even though it is probably my most time-consuming project to date. I used cotton velvet for the collar and plaid fabric which I think is a cotton/poly blend. The pattern itself is really not very complicated but I was determined to take my time and make the best I could of this dress. Matching plaid takes a lot more patience and skill than I had anticipated and so it was enough for me to have just matched up the side seams!

vaguely matching side seams

vaguely matching side seams

I fully lined the dress and the edges of the facings and sleeve hems are finished with bias trim. The description of the detachable collar was a little misleading! It is actually hand-sewn just inside the opening of the v-neck and sandwiched between the bodice and the ‘vestee’. I suppose I could unpick it and reattach it if I really wanted to!

For more pictures and details, please visit www.ooobop.com

• Meet the Author • ooobop

• So cute! I love plaid but every time I get ready to make something with it I get overwhelmed by how much work it seems like it will be and psych myself out. Are those red seamed stockings I spy? Nice touch!

• Thank you Katherine. I surprised myself with how I stuck with it! And yes… good spot! They are fully fashioned black stockings with red contrast seams. :-)

• Wow! What a fantastic dress! Kudos to you for matching up the plaid so well. The velvet collar is such a lovely touch :)

• Thank you so much Sarah. It does only match on the sides and there are other areas where I wish I could have given more thought but my head was hurting too much with the maths as it was!

• I love those those shoes with that dress~~~~!!!!!!

• Thank you Caridad. They are not the most comfy shoes in the world but I love them!

• Fabulous job! The plaid is wonderful and that velvet collar is luscious.

• Thank you Rozy. The velvet was a spontaneous decision and I was worried it might be a bit too much but I’m glad I took the risk. :-)

• Great job! I like the fabrics you used.

• The dress is amazing! Wonderful job! Plaid still intimidates me…but at some point, I’m gonna have to jump in head first!

• Thank you so much Naomi. Do it, do it! :-)

• Fantastic! Love the original take with your choice of fabric.

• You look great, nice work with the plaid. And love the red seamed stockings too.

• Lovely dress, but then I’m a sucker for plaid!

The hotel was bothering me. I know that place, then I looked the name – a ha! If you had looked down the side road to the left of the hotel (your right in the photos), you’d have noticed a row of mews houses running across the end. I used to live in the house you’d be looking directly at (which was once bright pink and now a more tasteful cream!).