Vintage 1960′s babydoll mini-dress

by heatherlou on November 21, 2011 · 7 comments

in 1960s,Vintage Sewing

So excited to be posting for the first time on Sew Retro!

For my second ever dress I used this Simplicity 7245 pattern. Super easy (even for a sewing rookie like me) and inexpensive since I got the fabric for $5/yd. I shortened it quite a bit and tried to take it down on the sweetness scale with the animal print. Overall I’m thrilled with it and have worn it an embarrassing number of times in 2 weeks.

More info and photos on my blog.

Montreal based commercial interior designer & novice sewist. Obsessed with vintage patterns, bright colour and graphic prints. Trying to replace shopping with sewing. Best hobby ever.

heatherlou's posts / heatherlou's website

Katherine November 21, 2011 at 11:13 pm

That is extremely cute! I am also in love with your tights. Welcome to Sew Retro – we’re happy to have you :D

Deb November 22, 2011 at 12:38 am

This is adorable! I love it! And welcome!

Sarah November 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

That is one seriously awesome dress! Welcome to Sew Retro – it’s lovely here!

Miss Crayola Creepy November 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

It looks great with the boots and leggings!

Through the Alley November 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This is really cute! I also like how you gave the dress a modern twist by your fabric choice and the way you styled it. It’s really cute! Is the fabric a cotton blend? btw welcome to Sew Retro! I’m looking forward to your future posts (:

heatherlou November 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone. I feel so warm and welcomed. The fabric is totally, 100% polyester. It frayed quite a bit around the edges and easily snagged but I like the way it holds a shape for such a lightweight material. Not ideal for a hot summer day perhaps, but perfect for fall with tights and boots.

Jo November 24, 2011 at 12:30 am

Thanks for posting this. I am a big fan of late 1960s-early 1970s patterns but haven’t seen very many blog posts of projects from patterns from these years. I have had this pattern on my wish list for a while, so I was pleased to see how well it came out for you.