≡ Menu

sizing accuracy

hello! I was hoping that some of you who are familiar with SImplicity patterns from the 60’s/70’s could tell me how accurate their sizing is? How is the ease? Do they run big or small? Thanks!

{ 8 comments… add one }
  • puu November 7, 2011, 8:36 pm

in my experience, simplicity patterns from the 60s run HUGE. i mean, it could be the whole style of the period, to have so much ease, but i was extremely unhappy with the pieces i made using 60s simplicity patterns and needed to take them in (by multiple inches) and add a lot of shaping before i was satisfied.

if you’ve got a couple of killer patterns you’re itching to try, definitely make a trial version first!

• Always Alice November 7, 2011, 9:10 pm

i agree, they run big! I made a dress with a 32 bust and it was a 38 bust easy. the dresses always are dumpy on me if i don’t take them in a lot. make a wearable muslin, use like a quilting cotton or a sheet first.

• christine November 7, 2011, 9:58 pm

they run big! i always end up taking at LEAST 2 inches off of my “size”

• Elisalex November 8, 2011, 4:07 am

ALWAYS go a size DOWN! Avoid the disappointment of a baggy bodice… Not cute.

• A.J.A. November 8, 2011, 4:53 pm

I agree that they often run large, but you will most likely want to measure your pattern and compare the measurements to your own. Most often I end up sewing with early 60s patterns, and though I usually remove ease at the bust (I am small up top), back and shoulders, I often don’t remove much from the waist and hips. You will get a more “authentic” 60s look if you don’t overfit the bodice- most dresses were not worn as fitted back then as they are today. But, it is all about your preference and the occasion. I generally prefer a little closer fit in a dress, but I sewed an early 60s pattern for my sister’s wedding recently, and I was very comfortable and felt appropriate for the occasion because the dress was a little less snug in the bodice.

• taylou555 November 9, 2011, 5:09 pm

Agree with other comments, patterns tend to be big

• silvana June 8, 2012, 9:56 pm

anyone has info about the 70’s 80’s sizing? i understand 60’s run big what about 70’s or 80’s? thanks

• Miranda August 1, 2012, 11:42 pm

I just made a muslin for a mccall’s shirt pattern from 1977. I graded it myself, and am fairly certain it’s accurate, it certainly hangs the right way, but I plan to take it in by about two inches to suit my taste. I always feel that overly loose bodices make me loose my shape visually. Point is, I find that my 70’s patterns run a little large.