Butterick 2553 – Robot Dress!

by Naomi

in 1950s,1960s,Children,Dresses,Kids,Pattern Drafting,Vintage Sewing

Long story short, besides Fraggle Rock, my daughter’s other favourite show is Yo Gabba Gabba! and last night was the Yo Gabba Gabba! concert. I really wanted to make my daughter something theme-ish to wear and originally thought to make one of the dresses like the girls wear in the show for the “My name is ____! I like to dance!” segments, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Then thankfully, I remembered some awesome robot fabric I had my in stash and decided to celebrate Plex by making a 1950′s dress using robot fabric!

I used Butterick 2553 as the base pattern. The pattern is undated – but I’m guessing it’s either very late 1950′s or early 1960′s.

I then I drafted a Peter Pan collar, bodice inset, sleeve cuffs and a belt. To embellish, I discovered I had the most perfect vintage red buttons – 2 that looked like cogs, and 5 that looked like the little red lights on the robots on the fabric. I then machine sewed with red thread shell tucks onto white bias binding, and used it for all the trimming.

While the dress isn’t perfect, I’m very proud with how it turned out – it was exactly as I envisioned.

If you’d like to read more about the dress and to see more photos, please feel free to visit my blog!

And now, without further ado, photos!

Naomi's posts / Naomi's website

Deb November 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

That turned out so cute! I love it! Your daughter is adorable too!

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like it!

Atomic Mum November 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Oh! She looks so cute and so does her dress. Lovely sewing.

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Thank you! When I was younger, I used to rush through sewing. But these days I’m trying to take my time and do things slower. Quality over quantity I’m telling myself. While there are mistakes, I do think this dress could withstand a major nuclear fallout or something!

Katherine November 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hahah, I think I actually just made a “SQUEEEE!” noise out loud. Your daughter is adorable and I love the attention to detail on the dress. Great job!

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Awww! Thanks! <3

LauraD November 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Very cute! I was sooo grateful with Bit grew out of the Gabba stage…. (I like Sesame Street better)

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I think Yo Gabba Gabba is one of the lesser evils in modern telly shows for kids. I love it because my daughter spends the entire episode dancing and moving, etc. Well, actually – it’s both my daughter and I dancing and moving! Haha.

So far, Lily hasn’t displayed any interest in Sesame Street – she much prefers Fraggle Rock – adores that show!

A.J.A. November 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Um, it looks absolutely perfect from here! I love the details, this is gorgeous. And the shell stitch on the bias tape is a marvelous idea! Your little one looks so pretty and happy in it!

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you! I’ve had a number of people ask about how I did the red stitching, so I think I may do a tutorial on it. I figured to do it on bias tape because my sewing machine book instructions said to do the shell tuck stitch on the bias.

Hulagirl November 20, 2011 at 11:33 pm

This is unbelievably adorable. I want one despite being twenty odd years olderthan your daughter.

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Aw! Thanks! I want one too – but the fabric is expensive! It was ordered through Spoonflower. While I could squeeze a toddler size dress out of one yard, I suspect I’d need at least 3 to 4 yards for a dress for me! Eek!

wundermary November 21, 2011 at 2:28 am

This is so great!

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thank you!

sewlyaharpist November 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

How lovely…as a side note I didn’t know Fraggle Rock was still on, I used to love that show!

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thank you! As far as I know, Fraggle Rock isn’t on TV at the moment. We got the box set of all four seasons on DVD from Amazon shortly before my daughter was born as I had very fond memories of watching it as a kid. My daughter is obsessed with it – it is by far her absolute most favourite show.

Bonita November 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

~ * ♥ * ~

wow, great job!! I love the binding and the fabric print is adorable. What a cute dress! :D

xox,
bonita of Depict This!
~ * ♥ * ~

Naomi November 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Thank you! I fell in love with the print the second I laid my eyes on it – I’m glad I finally found a dress style I felt would work well with it :)

Through the Alley November 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

This is adorable!! I’m even tempted to draft a pattern for myself lol

Natalia November 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm

There are so few kids’ projects shown on this site, I was delighted to see this! It’s gorgeous!