A Suit Fit for a Femme Fatale

by Laura Mae on November 11, 2011 · 12 comments

in 1940s

Here is my version of Vintage Vogue 2339.

I constructed it back in 2005, and pulled it out of the closet this week for an evening of Mahler with the Marin Symphony.  Although the suit has a few issues (please don’t look too closely at my first attempt with bound button-holes) I love how it shows how far my sewing has come, and how much more I have to learn!

More pictures may be found over at my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

I adore sewing and knitting, mostly vintage or vintage-inspired patterns.

Laura Mae's posts / Laura Mae's website

Inkdork November 11, 2011 at 1:41 am

This is beautiful!

audrey86 November 11, 2011 at 1:56 am

Wow! What a lovely suit, fits great too! What kind of shape-wear do you use, If I may ask? (assuming you do.)

Laura Mae November 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I am wearing a luleh strapless under this suit, found here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/luleh-shapewear-firm-control-camisole-liquid-lace-strapless-33418?ID=452798&CategoryID=37732#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D7%26ruleId%3D67%26slotId%3D6 It only has two bones, one on each side seam. And after being seated, the boning has a tendency to stick out at the hips, but with this outfit, it does not matter!

I am always looking for better long-line bras. I find it very frustrating trying to find period correct shapewear these days. The pieces that are boned use cheap plastic that bends when it gets warm from body heat, and most of the stuff out there is just stretchy fabric which does not create the wasp-waist look. The waistband on my skirt has no extra ease which also helps to pull everything in.

I know there are a couple of companies that create reproductions of vintage bras and girdles, but I would have to order them online and do not like the idea of guessing on sizes. Quite a few bloggers rave about http://www.whatkatiedid.us.com/

Sorry for not being more helpful!

audrey86 November 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

You are totally right, it’s very difficult to achieve period shape-wear… But the link you shared with me, whatkatiedid, seems a very useful one. Maybe when I’m in London again I’ll drop by in the store to find out the fitting of their undergarments. Thanks!

christine November 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm

beautiful suit, amazing fit- i am blown away! you are incredible!

puu November 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

that color is just gorgeous, really brings out the drama on that fantastic suit.

hulagril November 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Wow, what an amazing suit! You really pull it off too. Although now I am afraid I have striped suit fever and am going to have to make one.

Eva Andersson November 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That is a seriously gorgeous suit.

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm

This is beautiful!

Danielle July 15, 2012 at 5:27 am

Just beautiful. There’s nothing like the lovely femininity of these styles these days. No wonder we all yearn for them :)

Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 3:25 am

Hello!

Johnb77 May 13, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I think you have observed some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post. kbgfkddbgabf