Vintage Sewing Supplies

by OhhhLulu on October 23, 2011 · 7 comments

in 1950s

Does anyone else collect vintage sewing supplies along with their vintage patterns? I thought I’d share with you this wonderful old thread rack I was given, complete with dozens of wooden spooled thread, even some 100% Linen Thread.  I also recently came across a small tin Sewing Machine Accessories Box in robins egg blue.  It’s a little rusty but I love it all the same.

Owner & Designer behind Ohhh Lulu Lingerie & Apparel.

OhhhLulu's posts / OhhhLulu's website

A.J.A. October 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I really like this thread spool holder. It seems like it would be pretty easy to put one together. Nice pics! Pretty thread on wooden spools is just nice to have up to look at.

Katherine October 23, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I’m a sucker for vintage notions. I recently sold all my wooden spools of thread (they’re the ones pictured in the header) but I am gleefully drowning in old metal zippers and unopened packages of rickrack and hem tape.

Miss Tessa Melissa October 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I love vintage sewing accessories. The thread on your rack looks meticulously selected for display, rather than sewing! So pretty. I recently inherited my grandmother’s (Nonnie) sewing accessories that are worn and loved, and I cherish them so much. There is something about having an item or tool with history, some known and some unknown, that is very appealing to me.

OhhhLulu October 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm

So nice to get handed down sewing supplies :) They seem so personal to me.

sewlyaharpist October 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I definitely love vintage sewing supplies & notions. When I was in Omaha this past May I visited this ridiculously awesome vintage/antique mall that had a whole room devoted to sewing! My mom and I spent a very long time in there. I picked up some really cool vintage patterns, buttons/bias tape/iron on pocket welts, and my favorite thing a vintage sewing case/box….it’s plastic and from the 70′s and a terrible avocado green color but I love it! I sew on a 1940′s Singer Featherweight and I love to collect the attachments in the boxes as well. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Katherine October 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm

This just popped up on the craft magazine blog: http://wildolive.blogspot.com/2011/10/make-vintage-spool-necklace.html

Deb October 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Wow! Fantastic thread holder – it looks like a handy husband made it or maybe someone’s son made it in shop class! Very homey.