The Color of Falling Leaves

by Laura Mae

in 1960s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Just because the weather is warm does not mean a fall color palette cannot be enjoyed!  This is the ideal dress for the strange between-seasons weather we are experiencing in California.  It is a comfortably cool seersucker for the warm temperatures, but the colors are definitely inspired by an autumn day.

The dress looks quite a bit different from the original vintage pattern I used – McCalls 6758.

The contrasting cotton was used out of necessity (it turns out they were not kidding about the yardage requirements), but I ended up with a dress that I truly love, and one that is much more interesting than my original vision.

More pictures may be found over at my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

I adore sewing and knitting, mostly vintage or vintage-inspired patterns.

Laura Mae's posts / Laura Mae's website

LadyD October 21, 2011 at 4:02 am

I love the style and colour of that dress. And the 3/4 length sleeves. Do you know if they still sell that pattern? Or would it only be available looking somewhere like ebay for old copies?
How simple was it to make?

Laura Mae October 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

LadyD – The pattern that I used was a vintage one, so it is not readily available (this is not one of my reproductions!). However, I have seen a few copies here and there. I would start with etsy or ebay. You may also want to keep an eye out for links from the Vintage Pattern Wiki, although I am not sure how often it gets updated. http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/McCall's_6758 There are currently two links to “sources/vendors.”

As far as skill level goes, it is a printed pattern and there are just a few pieces to contend with, so a beginner with a bit of patience should do just fine!

Lholy-chan October 21, 2011 at 4:27 am

It’s a really pretty dress! I love the fabrics you chose, and yes the contrasting cotton does make it more interesting. It seems perfect for early autumn.

puu October 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

i think the contrasting bands of solid fabric are completely effective and make the dress that much more fun–great piece!

Tina L October 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

This is my favorite dress you have made! It is beautiful!

NightingaleJen October 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Wow, it looks great! I love your fabric choices—the dress is really fun, but the solid collar and cuffs sort of ground it all. Just fantastic!

BoPeep October 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

Very nice! I love sewing with stripes! And your covered button adds a great touch.