I just finished sewing a dress from one of my favorite eras – the 50s! In the last few months I have posted pictures of my summery vintage dresses, but with the weather turning colder I knew I couldn’t continue wearing them for much longer. So when a friend of mine gave me her mother’s collection of fabrics, I spotted a gorgeous piece of silk dupioni that begged to be made into a party dress!
For this dress I used Butterick 5556 (a retro reproduction), which is a terrific pattern to work with. Unlike some updated retro patterns, this style fits very well, except that there was too much room in the bodice in the picture of their model garment. So with this in mind I cut the bodice smaller than my usual size, and it turned out nicely.
I added a button closure down the front in addition to the side zip closure, which allows for more ease when you’re getting in and out of it. At the sleeve ends I added a frill of double-ruffled silk, and I omitted the pockets and the skinny little belt.
And I am so happy with how it turned out! I love wearing this dress with my crinoline petticoat, and you can be sure I’m planning to use this pattern again in the upcoming months! To read all about it you can visit my blog.
Katrina – www.edelweisspatterns.com