Any Excuse to Dress Up

by Laura Mae on October 8, 2011 · 2 comments

in 1950s

This is my version of Butterick 5032.  

I finished the project a couple of years ago,but this poor dress has been extremely neglected.  With Fall upon us, and cold weather closingin, I thought I would pull her out for one last fling before next year.
I have also used the capelet as a cover-up for anembroidered cotton summer dress with quite a bit of success.
Dress: Butterick 5603
Capelet: Butterick 5032
I was expecting to make the sheath dress and cummerbund,however, my fabric did not cooperate with me, and the cummerbund idea wasabandoned.  In order to cover the skirt back, which had some fit issues, I used a contrasting cotton sateen and wentfrom there.  I am actually happier withmy cobbled together version than I probably would have been with my originalidea.  I love when mistakes turn out tobe for the best!
More pictures may be found over at my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

This post was written by...

– who has written 27 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

I adore sewing and knitting, mostly vintage or vintage-inspired patterns.

Laura Mae's posts / Laura Mae's website

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Lady D October 9, 2011 at 4:10 am

I love the colour combination. The burgandy and the floral.

Reply

practicalgirl October 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

so gorgeous! well done.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: