Completed Project – 70’s dress!

This week I finished off a 70’s dress, inspired by the 70’s challlenge at Sew Weekly from last week. I always seem to be a week late in finishing these challenges!

Fabric: Thrifted polyester, ~60c

Pattern: Simplicity 6672, View 2, 20c
Year: 1975
Notions: None
Total cost: ~80c

Things done for the first time:

  • First time making a dress
  • First time adding armhole facings
Things I could improve on:
  • Hemming
  • Tracing patterns
There were a few markings I forgot to transfer over the first time, whoops! But that wasn’t too hard to fix. I may end up re-doing the hem – it looks a bit uneven across the front to me, and I didn’t really measure it….

Changes made:  Due to fabric restrictions, I made the dress quite short! It is 20cm shorter than even view 1! I also omitted the back zipper (can still get it on easily!) and the buttons on the front.
Changes I should have made: If I had more fabric, I would love to have made it longer, and matched the fabric on the seams too!

Overall I loved this pattern, and I think the fit is great, too! I’m looking forward to making it in some natural fibres for summer, and I would love to try one in the maxi length.

Beata  from Tatulinka’s Tales

• Meet the Author • Archive from Blogger

Love what you've seen so far? Subscribe by email to receive all the week's posts delivered to your inbox in one big glorious email every Friday.

Inbox overflowing? Follow us on Bloglovin instead!

Find the WeSewRetro crew chatting on Facebook and sharing pretties on Pinterest.

8 comments… add one

  • lovely..i love retro clothes,,

  • I recently saw this pattern for sale and wanted to get it myself but missed out.Looks very nice!

  • I have this pattern and got it out recently thinking of using it for some crepe I'd bought! My copy is two sizes too big and I couldn't be bothered with grading it so chose something else. I'm holding onto it as I like it so much. Great to see it made up I love your fabric!

  • Love the dress and pattern, and it looks lovely on you. If you still feel it's too short after altering the hem, you might extend it by adding a solid border to the hem as in this Butterick dress:

  • I have this pattern too,looks great.

  • I love the length as the fabric is just gorgeous!

  • The fabric is great! I immediately thought: "Tetris dress!" It looks smashing on you. I love it.

  • My mother made that dress for herself in the 70's. She made it out of horrific "Crimplene", which was a nice name for "polyester plastic"–but it never wrinkled and you couldn't wear it out.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely creation.


Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!