1964 Barbie Cluny Evening Gown!

by sew country chick on August 26, 2011 · 6 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Here is Miss Barbie in her silk taffeta evening gown made by my little Miss Lily with  some help from me. The fisheye darts and tiny pleats were a challenge for her but a big learning experience ! If you are trying to teach your kids to sew this is a great type of project.

The pattern came from this little nifty book we bought at the flea market. Lily collects vintage toys and especially anything Barbie if she finds a good deal! This little book came inside the box for her Sew Handy 1961 child’s sewing machine.

Slow down there Barbie!
Barbie’s not about to let Ken behind the wheel of her treasured Corvette. She may look old-fashioned but she’s very modern.
Happy sewing!

sew country chick's posts / sew country chick's website

Carole August 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm

My mother used to crochet dresses for my Barbie's. They were gorgeous pieces. I wish I still had them, but they are one of those things that mysteriously disappears in life. :-)

My Barbie had a similar car, though mine was the green of the interior on this one, with cream plastic upholstery. lol Barbie had to be crammed in from the top because there were no opening and closing doors in the 1970s. lol

Linda August 26, 2011 at 7:54 pm

My grandmother made a lot of clothes for my Barbie. I would sew on the buttons or snaps. I still have the Barbie Corvette just like the one in your photos. Cool!

Sarah August 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Barbie looks fabulous! Love the dress and that book is wonderful!

Anne Beekman August 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Barbie looks so elegant in her burgundy strapless gown.

Ken is wearing…a sheer sleeveless tuxedo shirt with floral bow tie and cummerbund!?!

Liz in IN August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Looks like an Austin Healey 3000 (google it!) to me. Up until a few months ago (when we sold it), we had a real one. Ours was red, not Barbie's rather frightening peach color. ;)

MUCH cooler than any ol' Corvette!

Happy sewing!

Linda August 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Do little girls change much? I think my first hand sewing project back in the 1960s was a dress for my Barbie just like this one but in blue chiffon. I was so proud!

Good work, little one! Hope you will always remember this early accomplishment and may it lead to the real thing! :D

… but what's up with Ken, poor darling?