Can you help date this pattern?

When do you think this pattern is from? I found this vintage petticoat pattern in an antiques shop in California, but I’m having a little trouble identifying the date.

The pattern is numbered 7661, a “ladies’ six-gored princess slip or foundation”. It’s made by the Standard Fashion Company – some internet research tells me that this was a subsidiary of Butterick, in operation from 1888 to 1926. At the bottom of the pattern it says ‘Patented October 4, 1887, and September 5, 1889′ – I assume that’s referring to the company, not the individual pattern. The closest thing I can find online is pattern no. 7241, a very long straight skirt which looks to me like it’s from about 1910.

Do you have anything similar in your collection? Do you know about the history of the Standard Fashion Company? Do you have any clues from underwear history?

There are some more pictures and details on my blog if you think you can help. Thanks!

• Meet the Author • Tilly

• I have TONS of mid to late 19-'teens' patterns.
    It looks like the type of pattern that was sold to department stores. Like a 'generic' brand of pattern. those are all over the place. Especially the ones that have the wax envelopes from the 30 and early 40s.

• I would say late 1920's.

• The silhouette looks early 1900's to teens to me. Unfortunately, I can't help you much more. Most libraries should have reference books on this period (try searching for "late victorian" or "edwardian").

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more!

• COPA doesn't have it, but they date Standard 7869 as 1914, and Standard 8122 as 1915, so I'd think it's one of those two years. Great find!!

• based on the length, shape and details like high collar, seams and small ruffle on the bottom id say sometime between 1910-1915

• Looks about 1912-1914 to me :)

• My first guess was 1913… I have a Past Pattern that looks very similar to the last slip on the right. It is no longer on their web site so I am unable to supply a link.. but looks very similar.. I could email you a pic of the one I have if you like?

Regards,

Kelly

• It is definitely the silhouette of 1910 to 1912 suiting the rising waistline and the change of skirt shape. Skirt hemlines narrowed a lot more during the early to mid teens (e.g. the hobble-skirt fashion which died out about 1913 when women got bored of being unable to walk and laughed at by men) From 1915 on hemlines suddenly shot up and ankles became visible.

Try some of my favourite online research resources:

http://backinvogue.wordpress.com/tag/1910-1919/ (which has lingerie from 1910 to 15 pictured)

What a great find though!

• My guess would be 1910-1914 at the latest. At first I would have pegged it for 1912, but I realize the fashion could have been a wee bit earlier, and slightly later, so the pattern could have been released before 1912.

Lovely find! Enjoy!