I finished my first applique project early this week, and have been waiting for the weather to cooperate so I could take it out for a spin. The pattern I used is a 50′s 1/2 circle skirt from Simplicity 4532, but instead of the tulip applique I decided to make up my own rainy-day/umbrella themed skirt.
I lucked out and bought my pattern on etsy with the original transfer included for the tulips. So I’ll definitely have to make another one in the future like the cover illustration.
For the construction, I interfaced the waistband with both a light weight iron-on interfacing to the shell as well as horsehair canvas on the inside facing, for extra stability. I used a horsehair braid on the hem for the full 50′s full skirted look and lined it with a coordinating red bemberg. I have white cotton piping at the top and bottom of the waistband (a first for me).
For the applique, I did all of the umbrella pieces by hand, but machine-satin stitched the raindrops on after basting them all in place.
If you’d like read more about this project and see more pictures of the construction you can find more posts at zilredloh.com.
Thanks guys and hope you all have a lovely weekend!