I made myself a blouse the other weekend in between soccer games and a zillion other things. Lucky thing it was an easy pattern. This one is Simplicity 7896 from 1977 – I almost de-stashed it but changed my mind at the last minute. I love the Forties-inspired styling and the cuffed sleeves and especially the shoulder gathers (I have a thing for shoulder gathers). The fabric was a lucky find in the quilting section at JoAnn’s – or maybe a not so lucky find as there was only a bit left on the bolt. Vintage buttons from my neverending stash and I didn’t have to buy a thing.
This blouse came together really quickly. The only problem I ran into – and this is something I’ve noticed with 1970s patterns – is that it was a lot less ‘fitted’ in real life than the pattern envelope. With the tropical print I thought it looked really ‘camp-shirty’ so I took the sides in. Next time I will alter the pattern pieces before I sew it again. I didn’t have enough of the print to do the tie collar so I raided my stash for some cream colored Kona. I like the contrast but it’s a bit too stiff to tie in a bow like on the pattern envelope without looking clown-like. Next time I will try this pattern in a nice limp silky print.
(I really need a better place to take photos besides my bathroom.)