The Victoria and Albert Museum Free Pattern Dress

by ChronicallyUncool

in Vintage Sewing

Remember this free pattern from the V&A Museum’s Golden Age of Couture exhibition? I made it to wear to see the exhibit (now traveling the world) in Nashville.

I love the way this dress turned out and I had a great time in Nashville with Gertie and my fellow vintage clothing enthusiasts. This project is my best work yet!

Links:

Details about the construction on Pattern Review and on my blog, Chronically Uncool.

ChronicallyUncool's posts / ChronicallyUncool's website

JennySlash September 7, 2010 at 11:06 am

I keep thinking about giving this dress a try and the detailed construction notes in your review make it sound quite do-able.

Your version is lovely and I can't believe you sewed that in quilting cotton!

Nathalie September 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I'm actually a big fan of quilting cotton for dresses. I'm not saying it's good for everything and all styles, but I find it works really well with certain 50s fashions that benefit from a fabric with a bit of body. And if this dress is made from a quilting cotton, then it's a case in point as the result is fantastic!

Tilly September 7, 2010 at 2:33 pm

It's beautiful! I love how you look so glamorous in front of the ironing board…

Jenny September 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm

@Tilly – Yep, you can always expect the finest fashion photography from me. There's nothing like a grainy iPhone picture in a gloomy hotel room to really capture the moment!

thecuriouskiwi September 7, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Wow, great to see someone in a version of this dress, I've got the pattern but haven't tried it yet. I love the fabric you used, it fits you so well and looks great! :) Thanks for the detailed instructions, I will add them to my folder for when I give this a go xx

A.J.A. September 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Beautiful dress! I love the fabric. The colors really complement you.

Ande September 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I printed and taped this pattern together 3 years ago and have been too chicken to try it. You have made me see the light and to give it a chance! Yours turned out gorgeous! Love it! Great work! Way to go!

tammyO. September 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm

so flattering! great job.

Veronica Darling... September 8, 2010 at 4:49 am

Absolutely beautiful! I had no idea it was a free pattern. Yours is just as gorgeous as that original!

Bex September 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm