Butterick Retro 4792

I have made another version of this reissued Butterick 1957 dress (my first is on Sew Retro here.)

This time I altered it to put in a back exposed zipper. A clothes store here in the UK has been doing coloured exposed zippers on all their summer dresses (e.g. this one) and I loved the look. I let the waist seams out a tiny bit on this version, to make it more appropriate for comfortable lounging on picnic blankets and the like! The fabric is a beautiful quality cotton lawn.

On to the pictures (and better pictures of the original pink version below!)

• Meet the Author • Archive from Blogger

• Lovely! I like both versions, but I have to confess to having a deep abiding love for all things polka-dotted, so the pink is an automatic thumbs-up from me!

• Really great! I love both versions. They look stunning on you. I love the idea of the contrasting zipper. I never would have thought of it.

• Those are both adorable, Hanna! I love the pictures… so perfectly summer. Great job!

• I love them both, too. I have this pattern. I must make myself one. It would be so perfect for summer. Was it easy to make?

Trudy

• i have seen quite a few of this style made up in the past including one I made myself and one my sewing buddy made, but I do have to say that your blue one is my favourite I have seen so far. The fit is fantastic (the pattern has a tendency to gap in places and restrict in others) and the choice of fabric is superb. well done.

• I love the blue one and the zipper is cool. I have not seen that before. I will have to try it.

• Thank you so much everyone for your kind words!

@Trudy – yes, I found it easy to make, both times. The construction of the bodice is a little fiddly with the curves and self-lining, but I found it went together beautifully; in that way it is a well-drafted pattern.

@Angelic Cow – thank you! That is a great compliment. Re fit issues: I didn't have any problems on the pink one, but for some reason I did experience what you describe (gapping/restricting) on the blue. I found the change to a back zipper helped enormously there because I could just pull in the extra fabric at the top of the back into the zipper seam; I have now done this zipper adjustment on two more vintage patterns that were originally designed with side zippers. It doesn't look so authentic, but it sure helps when like me you have a small bust and large waist relative to the 50s proportions!

• beautiful dresses! i love the colors, the florals, and the polka dots.