These are a Few of My Favorite Things

by Archive from Blogger

in Vintage Sewing

Today I am blogging about my favorite things. Of course I love vintage sewing goodies – like buttons and pin cushions, but I am also very much into 1960s enamel brooches and handbags. Take a look:

I scored this fully functional vintage Singer at R & M a couple of weeks ago for $20.00. Complete with button-holer and cams, it actually gives me less sewing grief than my $800.00 Pfaff!

My mother recently sent me this petite china pin cushion in a package of goodies. She sits on a shelf in my sewing room and always looks quite pleased with my accomplishments. I like her a lot!

I collect all sorts of antique sewing buttons, but my favorite are Victorian buttons which represent hands holding things – like fans, flowers and even bugs. I have no idea what the symbolism is, but they are plentiful and lovely.

I bought this groovy 1960s handbag this morning at Goodwill. It’s in exceptional condition and only cost me $3.00. Wow!

I never actually wear these enamel flower and fruit pins, but I think they are little works of art. They always brighten my day. I love rescuing them from junky jewelry destashes at the thrift shops!

Archive from Blogger's posts / Archive from Blogger's website

Simply Stephy March 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I accidentally posted this on the wrong blog (I ment to publish it to my personal site). So I might as well introduce myself and say hello! I am Stephanie and live in Edmond, OK. I am an avid vintage sewer and have enjoyed reading this blog very much! Thank you for including me in the action :)

Hannah March 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Your vintage Singer is just divine! What a gorgeous colour :)

Regenia March 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I seriously have a cosmetic bag in the same fabric as your new purse that came from my great great aunt's estate. It still had tags on it because she was a young lady during the depression and even in her later life felt that things such as cosmetic bags were unnecessary frivolties.

Simply Stephy March 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I think I must have lived another life during the depression. I save every button and little scrap of fabric "just in case" and I honestly believe that if I can't make it or buy it for less than $5 at a thrift shop, I probably don't need it.

hatjunkie March 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I used to have the same singer. What a gorgeous color. I still have plenty of them and I also find they are so much more reliable that my computerized elna which breaks down when you look at it sideways.

Sarah March 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

*drool*

Love the Singer. Love the enamel pins.

Susan March 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

I'm glad you posted on the wrong blog today–otherwise I might not have found you and seen so many of my favorite things in one place.

Vicki March 6, 2010 at 10:20 am

Doll, why don't you wear the enamel pins? I think they would look lovely on a pastel sheath dress!