chinese frog closures

by Archive from Blogger

in Vintage Sewing

Greetings Sew Retro-ers!

A couple months I made this dress, and I tied the frog buttons to boot. I know I can’t be the only one out there who finds the available closures limiting. Too big, too small, wrong color, cheap shiny look, it makes sense to learn to knot them yourself. I put together a tutorial so anyone wanting to perfectly finish their Mandarin collar, cheongsam, or qipau, can do so with out going crazy trying to figure out how to tie them.

My mom says she had a book that explained how to tie them. Where are those books now? I searched everywhere and had difficulty finding decent instructions. I don’t know how many test frogs I made before I got them sorted out, but hopefully these instructions will save others that frustration. Happy Frogging!

Archive from Blogger's posts / Archive from Blogger's website

Twill Jill December 4, 2009 at 4:18 pm

You are awesome! I've been so disgusted with the limited selection of closures at my local stores and have often thought about making my own but was never brave enough to sit and try. Your tutorial is very easy to figure out. Thanks so much for sharing!

Miss Emmi December 4, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I've never had to use frog closures before, but I am definitely bookmarking this just in case!

Nathalie December 5, 2009 at 9:17 am

Thank you for that information on how to make frogs. Wish I'd had it when I was making a little chinese dress for my youngest. As echoed by others here, the choice at my local store was very limited and I ended up with something ridiculously big (and not the colour I wanted) for a tiny dress. And what a beautiful blog you have! Have been going through your archive posts and can't wait to explore it at length.

Tamina listening December 7, 2009 at 8:32 am

Thanks so much for this! Now I just want to find a project that involves frog closures just so I can try making them using your very useful and well laid out tutorial!

LibrariAnon December 7, 2009 at 9:23 pm

The dress is absolutley gorgeous, and thank you so much for posting the instructions–I will definitely be using them!

Jo December 8, 2009 at 2:59 pm