I made this popular reprinted Simplicity pattern. Like many other people, I loved the empire waistline, the slash/boat neck and the waist darts. And like many other people, I was disappointed with my finished dress because it was just so much bigger than I expected. I know it’s a jumper/pinafore and supposed to have ease, but the envelope lists cotton as a recommended fabric, implying that it could be made up as a light-weight summer dress – which is what I tried to do, using a gorgeous vintage printed cotton that I think was originally meant to be sheeting. I made the size 8, which is right for my measurements, and the result is ok, certainly wearable, but not quite what I wanted. See how in the last picture the excess fabric is standing up off my hips. If I spend time making twelve darts, I would like the fabric to be a lot closer to my body than that! I might make this dress again, making the smaller size on the skirt and grading between the 6 and 8 on the back and front bodice, though making sure not to make the armholes any smaller!
Search the Site
Important Legal Stuff
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means if we enjoy a product and recommend it to you, and you decide we're pretty smart and go buy it, we get a few virtual pennies dropped into our "Cappuccino and a copy of Threads Magazine" coffee break fund.