Hello all

(image from alldressforms.com)

I’m Audrey and new to Sew Retro. I’ve been sewing almost two years now and chronicle my sewing, upholstery and other crafty and creative exploits on my blog, boongoggle.

I have a question if you don’t mind. I have been reading a lot of sewing blogs lately where the dress forms are referred to by name, such as Delores, Dotty, etc. This got me to thinking. Is this traditional? Do the people who name their dress forms also name their sewing machines, Kitchen Aid mixers, cars, bicycles, etc? I see there is a post today about Betty, a new (vintage) and beautiful sewing machine.

Does your dress form have a name? What is it and what is the story behind it? I’d love to know. Thank you!
Audrey

• Meet the Author • Archive from Blogger

• Mine is Barbie!

• I have two dress forms – one is duck tape and nearly exact to my figure and the other one is a "Uniquely You" that I still need to make adjustments on. Neither of them have names, but I've become rather fond of the first one and may start calling her "Duckie."

• Mine is Marie Antoinette. For obvious reasons!!!

• Mine's Stella, named after the lady who so kindly donated her to me.

• Mine's Trixie after my favorite Deadwood character

• Mine is Ophelia because I found her for a steal at a thrift store but didn't check to see if she went up to my 44-36-44 measurements. When I found out she didn't I glared at her and said, "Oh phoo to you". (She still helps me with getting hemlines and facings placed right even if she is a skinny brat).

• My girl is called Diana, only because she came with a name tag (a Christmas present from my parents) that says Diana. She's pretty great, can be skinny sometimes and larger as well… she's very helpful but sometimes her hips are a bit wonky and square…

Great theme!

• Ha ha, I name very few things, but dress form is one. She is called Elsie, because one day I was down on the floor picking up pins, looked up at the dress form, and zowie, it was the vision I had as a 3 yo of my grandma's body. YIKES. So she has grandma's name — and unfortunately both of our bodies form. :D