I used Simplicity 8040, printed in 1977 (ironically the year I was born, although I don’t think my mother ever made me a pair of these). I’ve made them from some red linen I had left over from another project, and some red polka dot cotton I had in my scrap fabric bag. They are a size 3 so they are a little large for my kidlet, but with her big cloth bum they stay up and she has room to grow into them. They have an elastic waist, and the pockets are just sewn onto the front of the shorts, so they are super easy to make. In fact I’ve already cut out another pair in navy blue cotton which I’ll sew up when I change the thread in my overlocker (a joyless task that I always put off).