I’m not kidding. Apart from a handful of genuinely modern patterns, that this is copyright 1961 makes it the most recent pattern I have. It was nicknamed “Polly Esther” because it’s made from–drum roll, please–a pink cotton-polyester bedsheet and cotton-polyester gingham trim. I normally use 100% cotton. I think I’ll stick with that policy from now on, too, since the cotton-poly was rather slippery and fussy to work with.
I really am unreasonably enamored of the pink-with-gingham-trim idea, though.
The appallingly-bad mirror shot below shows the results:
The project Flickr set is here.
I shrank the pockets up a bit since they were in the running for the biggest pockets I’d ever encountered; bigger, possibly, even than those on Simplicity 4015 (1952), which were pretty darned big. The smaller pockets–I only trimmed off 1/2 inch all the way around–are still as big as any I’ll ever need.
I was irritated, however, to discover that I didn’t need anywhere near as much bias binding as the pattern said I would. I spent a lot of time custom-making that pink gingham bias because nobody in my area carries it pre-made. I guess I’ll have to use the rest for something else.
Addendum: Now that I’ve worn it for a day, I think I will also be adding a button and loop on the back to help keep things from gapping. I love the idea of back-wrap dresses but they seem to be tricky to pull off in practice.