This project was inspired by the fabric. Normally I buy patterns first, then seek out fabric. This time I worked in reverse. I saw the fabric and had to have it – it was just too neato and different to pass up, and I got it at Fabric Fix during their sale. The print was $1.50/yard and the lime was $2.00/yard. The ladies who sold it to me suggested a ‘mod style shift dress with a long coat’. I didn’t have anything quite right in my pattern collection, and then one day this showed up on Momspatterns:
I love this outfit. Never mind that I have absolutely no place to wear it. The coat was supposed to be lined but the fabric is heavy and has the same texture/weave on both sides, so I omitted a lining and instead did French seams where possible and finished off the facing edges in bias seam tape.
I deliberately hemmed the coat shorter than the dress so the dress would be visible when wearing the coat:
Typically I try to sew vintage patterns with modern fabrics so that my finished projects don’t look too much like a costume. I prefer the style of the 60s over the style that is popular today, so I am always seeking out practical patterns that have a place in my wardrobe. This one certainly wasn’t practical (although a friend pointed out that the dress on it’s own is modern looking). Still, I do love this outfit. I just need to find a place to wear it.
Many more pics and details on my blog: