≡ Menu

Working The Vintage Kinks Out

I wrote about this top before when I first made it but I was never happy with the fit. Though you might not be able to see the difference this top has now been taken in quite a bit at the sides, the neckline width was reduced, the length was cropped, and it received an entirely new facing. I think the most noticeable change is the detail down the front. That was were I had to take a vertical tuck in the front because the neckline was far too wide to be comfortable or to keep from slipping off my shoulders!

I think I now know that I won’t be making any more outfits from McCall’s 8251 though I still love the “idea” of it so much. Trying to alter this pattern to make it workable has thoroughly frustrated me. I even thought I could find the pattern in the next smallest size and go from there but there is something odd enough about the sleeves and armholes that I’m not sure that would even work.

If anyone out there has made a similar pattern to this one that worked for them, like McCall’s 8337, Simplicity 6634 (both below) or something else, please let me know, OK?

McCall’s 8337 Simplicity 6634

Mosaic created with fd’s Flickr Toys.

About the author: Home sewist for over twenty years, clothing, crafts, and home furnishings. Love the styles of the 1930s and the exquisite details that were utilized then in even the simplest of garments.

{ 4 comments… add one }
  • Trudy Callan May 29, 2009, 2:01 pm

    I can see a huge difference in the before and after. It turned out very nice; but like you said, after a lot of frustration.


  • Kerry May 29, 2009, 5:56 pm

    I love what you did with this, and it looks modern and very stylish. Great job.

  • dee May 29, 2009, 6:37 pm

    Good job with the fitting.

    I bought Simplicity 6634 for 10 cents but have never made it. When I find the perfect vintage fabric for it I will be sure to carefully measure twice before I cut it out.

  • marLou May 30, 2009, 10:45 pm

    It looks really great! Good job!

Leave a Comment