I Made a Retro Swimsuit!

by ChronicallyUncool on August 6, 2008 · 7 comments

in Swimwear / Sunwear

My retro swimsuit, on vacation in San Diego!
This is a retro-style suit I made from a self-drafted pattern. It was my first swimsuit and my first attempt at drafting, so it was a long process. I eventually gave up the drafting and just improvised. I documented it in exhaustive detail on my blog, Chronically Uncool. All the posts about this adventure are tagged as “Swimsuit Experiment“.

This is actually a two-piece suit that looks like a one-piece. The little undershorts are separate. I also made a removable bra with huge gel stuffers built in. It’s ridiculous, but effective! All the construction details about the stuffer and (with/without pictures) are mixed in with the rest of the swimsuit experiment posts.

I’ve only been sewing for a year, and I made a wearable swimsuit! If you’re afraid of swimwear, please reconsider! It was a really fun project.

ChronicallyUncool's posts / ChronicallyUncool's website

tiddleywink August 6, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I LOVE IT!!! Congratulations. I’ve long wanted to make my own retro-style suit, but have been hesitant to try. Your success might just give me the confidence I need!

Sunny August 7, 2008 at 1:18 am

Fabulous. You did great. I have been watching and waiting for you to do this. I followed your journey. Well worth it. Kudos.

Carolyn August 7, 2008 at 10:54 am

It looks great! I’m heading over to your blog right now for the details.

Glamoursurf August 8, 2008 at 10:06 am

Absolutely Fabulous! I really love the print you selected. Now I’m off to read all about it.

Congrats! I’ve got some cool swimsuit patterns on my site, I just may have to try this myself!

Rachel August 9, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I love that swimsuit. I just love retro clothing.

mooimadeit August 10, 2008 at 2:39 am

This looks fabulous. Well done!

john March 27, 2009 at 3:36 am

It is definitely easier to buy bikini online than looking for your favorite bikini wear in a bikini store located in the marketplace. You can purchase a bikini piece online straightway from your home by logging in to http://www.verysexybikini.com and submitting your requirements. However, as soon as you place order at this website, the product would be delivered right at your doorstep at the earliest.