Nifty gifty

A very dear friend of mine turns thirty tomorrow. I’m surprising her with this gift. She has no idea. I just hope it fits!

Close up of the fabric to the right….

Yup, it’s the same fabric as the last frock I posted, a Japanese cotton from Spotlight that I think is just splendid.

…and the pattern below
which I like so much I think I might have to make myself one in two sizes of blue stripe. I did put some folds in the sleeves because they were very flappy, and I knew my friend wouldn’t like them. I made a couple of other changes to better suit her but otherwise it’s pretty faithful to the original.

UPDATE: I hear, but have not seen, that it fits perfectly. Who’d have thunk it! Yay!

• Meet the Author • livebird

I make the things.

• Love it and really love your button choice, those are perfect!

I’ve been scared to try those mail order patterns, how are they to work with? Are the instructions clear?

• It’s gorgeous! The fabric seems to fit the dress well too.

• You did a fabulous job! I just adore those old mail-order patterns… there are some real gems in those! The fabric of choice is perfect!

• That is utterly adorable! What a great friend. That fabric is sooooo yummy.

Charity

• Very nice! I too love the buttons.

• Tee hee, thanks all. It’s always so deluxe to have other people coo over things you’ve made (especially when they aren’t close enough to inspect and spot the slightly shoddy bits…)

lsaspacey, mail order patterns are a mixed bag. Sometimes they are really clear and easy, common sense and make very practical garments. Other times they are obscure, the markings drive you crazy, and the instructions are written for people who don’t need instructions. I say give it a try and see how you go. What’s the worst that can happen??

• That dress is gorgeous – I think I have the exact pattern in my stash but have been too scared to actually use it. Having seen what you’ve done with it I’ll be having a go as soon as I get some free time.

• You have a very lucky friend! The dress is beautiful!

« LAST POST