Vintage Sewing

Better Late than Never

February 16, 2008

Well, February 1 came and went — how’s Feb 15 for an extended deadline?

I finally finished Simplicity 3763, my first project for myself in forever. I’m somewhat pleased with it, although I have to say this pattern was difficult to fit. I lengthened the bodice by 2″, and probably could have done it by 1″ and been fine. I may cut the thing apart and fix it at some point in the future — but for now, at least it’s done! Although the tracing and fitting and cutting took a couple of hours the other day, I started and finished this (sewing only) yesterday in about 3 hours.
Things I changed:
  • I placed the center front of the skirt on the fold instead of having a center front seam.
  • I put in a 14″ zipper center back that goes from mid-back to below the waist (it was all I had in my stash and I didn’t want to go to WalMart for a 22″ zip)
  • I lined it completely (pattern only calls for lining the bodice) with crepe-de-chine from my stash.

I think I would leave the center front seam in next time, if I ever do this again. It lends itself to all the darts/tucks in the skirt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.