Vintage Sewing

Merry Christmas

December 25, 2007

Well, although they were finished at the very last hour, they are spectacular! The gold one came off the ironing board and 15 minutes later, we were sitting in a pew at church. . .

For many years, I made matching dresses for my girls. These mostly consisted of cotton, and on occasion I’d use maybe a velveteen. But they’re growing up now, all young women, and a suitable fabric was required.

Although I did use Vogue 2903, I made some adjustments. This pattern is totally wacko with the way the sleeve and arm and yoke and shoulder section work. After a muslin to just try it out, I ditched the sleeves and adjusted the yoke. I also added a lining so as to finish off the armholes. On the hem, I simply turned it up about 1/2″ to the outside and stitched, and then covered that with a black velvet ribbon. The fabric is a poly tafetta with gold embroidery and a basic black rayon velvet from JoAnn’s. The lining, notions, and velvet ribbon trim all came from WalMart.

And believe it or not, they all loved the fact that they matched. I feel much better about all these weddings I have ahead of me now. . .

  1. Beautiful dresses! (and daughters!)

    I am working on the same exact dress. Was supposed to be for Christmas, maybe I’ll have it done for next year 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.