Vintage Sewing

That 70s Dress

August 14, 2007


I can’t remember where I got this pattern (probably from a lot on ebay or from the Sally Ann), but it’s been sitting around for a while now, waiting to be made. The pattern was unused and came with a special (new at the time) feature: 2 sizes in one envelope! Although it’s not my usual style or era in terms of vintage clothing, I had the perfect fabric in my overflowing stash, so I decided to make it.
(Making this dress was also the perfect way to procrastinate from a much more important sewing project – a dress for my Dad’s wedding. Does anyone else have the strange need to start a completely new, and unnecessary, project when they have a very limited deadline on another project? In my case it seemed to work, as both dresses are done, with 2 whole days before I fly to Vancouver for the wedding.)
Here’s the front:


The yellow and orange fabric is from a bed sheet I bought at a garage sale years ago. The blue fabric was a gift for my roommate. She finished her project and luckily there was enough left for me to use as contrast. I omitted the pockets from the original and cut the skirt front in one piece, but other than that everything is unaltered.
Here you can see the back:
I couldn’t decide what colour buttons to use. I didn’t want them to blend in with the contrast or with the main colours and didn’t want to introduce a new colour, so I stacked small blue buttons with bigger (15mm) orange buttons.


I think this will be my “I refuse to accept the end of summer” dress. I shall wear it with sandals, without a cardigan and ride my bike, ignoring the stares of those who will already be wearing scarves.

  1. Hi!
    Great use of colors, and love the button idea–might steal that!
    And yes, I always begin absolutely unnecessary stuff all the time when a deadline looms near.

    Dawn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.