I found this great 1954 Butterick dress pattern at an Antique Mall for $1.99 — it had all of it’s pieces, the instructions, and it was my size. How perfect!
It went together quickly with the most difficult part being the inset collar. For some reason the opening for the collar was too big and I had to take in the shoulder seams a bit to make it all match up. I have had a vintage mint green plastic belt buckle for years waiting for just the right project. This turned out to be the one. I’ve also been sitting on some vintage mint green piping I picked up at the thrift store that wanted to be included too. I piped around the collar and cuffs and think that it really makes the dress.
The illustration on the pattern envelope shows a really full skirt, which mine is not. I’m not sure if this is because the fabric I used is quite heavy or if the pattern envelope models were wearing crinolines. I’ve played around with the idea of making this pattern in a crisper fabric to see if it would be fuller.
This is the first pattern I’ve sewn with kimono sleeves, which are so easy to sew but unusual to wear. As long as I don’t really need to lift my arms higher than my shoulders I should be fine!